Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Son

My Son
"Oh, where have you been, my blue-eyed son?
And where have you been my darling one?"
-Bob Dylan, A Hard Rain's a - Gonna Fall
My blue-eyed son
My dimple cheeked son
My son I should have had
My son I should have been
My illuminated son
The feeble Nyquil high
                Suicidal son
My Crocodile son
My son with blonde hair
                Who is off to war
My son who wept at himself
My bloody handed son.

My conformist son
                Came to Thebes and
                Plucked out both his eyes and is
My son in dreams
My son I'll call Paul
My son will weep at that
My son I'll keep naming Lazarus.

My son, my nothing son
My queer son
My intellectual son
Who died
                Sitting on the backburner of my life.
Patrick Conners Jr

No comments:

Post a Comment